The Logan Public library owes it's existance to two retired pricncipals of the Logan High school. The ladies presented their idea to the public and in November 1913 a meeting was held. The price of admission was a book. 128 books were collected, a library board elected and we became the Logan Public library. Our first site was a room in the northeast corner of the courthouse. In 1915 Logan received one of the last Carnegie grants and the original building was built on our current site. In 1967 the basement was remodeled and a children's room created. In 1988 we doubled our space and now have 4,800 square feet. A new entry and elevator on the east side has made us completely handicapped-accessible. The new addition gave us lounge and study areas and more shelf space on the main floor. In the basement we added a story well area to the children's room; created a meeting room with kitchenette and handicapped accessible restrooms. The children's library was recently redone, and is a bright child friendly spot. Like all libraries we have strived to meet the needs of our patrons. In 1993 we acquired computers and have continued to expand services in that area. We also supply audio and visual media, along with the printed materials. We like to view our library as being "without walls" with our ability and desire to acquire information for our patrons. Our aim is make all who enter to feel welcome and comfortable.
Interested in more history? Check out the Iowa Historical Society